Monday, November 10, 2014

Marathon but not so fast...


I don't even know where to begin but I am crushed with disappointment which may explain why it has taken me so long to post because that will make it all the more REAL. Following the Diva Dash Half I have not been able to walk, let alone run without severe pain. I took the end of September off and started seeing a chiropractor. He is an amazing doctor and we exhausted pretty much all treatment options. October came and went with little improvement. I had to pass up running the Army 10 Miler and I wasn't able to run at the Marine Corps Marathon with Kimberly. I also had to make the decision to defer the Richmond Marathon until next year which hurt my heart and soul. I know to most people it's just a race, and a silly race at that. Honestly, who would want to run 26.2 miles? Most people don't even like driving that far but 26.2 has become so much more than a number to me. 26.2 has taught me so many things and instilled a unique sense of confidence and strength knowing that I can do anything that I put my mind to. I may have shed tears over this decision but I also realized that the start line will be there next year and it is about so much more than crossing that finish line. My journey has truly been amazing and I have come so far as a runner over the past year. One year ago when Kimberly and Eileen had just finished the marathon I remember thinking that I while I admired them, marathoner was not a title I ever wanted to chase. So my running journey continues just not exactly how I had planned... which seems to be the story of my life.

"Success has been and continues to be defined as getting up one more time than you've been knocked down."  




No comments:

Post a Comment