Monday, February 3, 2014

The Common Sore Throat and Knee Pain

Doctor: Hey Nikki. What's going on? I see we have the classic sore throat and knee pain going on today.
Me: Yeah, about that. I am pretty stubborn, one of my best and worst character traits so we are killing two birds with one stone. My husband might have made the appointment and forced me to come so since I am here we might as well talk both problems.
Doctor: Ok, tell me what's going on.
Me: Well, I think I have post nasal drip from a sinus infection which is causing my throat to hurt and the reason I am loosing my voice but it's cleaning up and I think I'm having issues with my IT Band from running.
Doctor: Sounds like you don't even need me and you've done some self diagnosis.
Me: Yeah, I'm pretty good with Google but haven't figured out how to write a script yet OR fix the two issues at hand.

Sinus infection- check! I was right, no thanks to Google on that one but too much life experience. Actually I did Google Doctor to figure out what the huge lump on my neck/skull was and as anticipated it was a swollen lymph node. Now on to the knee… 

Me: I started doing races last year and soft of became obsessed. I've been in pain after every race but attributed it to something different. First it was shoes. Then it was shoes and no training. Then it was shoes and no training and crappy running conditions and maybe I twisted something. NOW I have nothing to blame (got new shoes, started training more regularly, listened to my body, only ran 1-2 miles) and I can't even walk and have spent the past week limping around. 
Doctor: So, let's take a look at what you did here. 
Me: Well, I've been "resting it" the past two days so it isn't as swollen and the cracking/creeking isn't as bad as it has been the past week. I also got an IT Band Compression Wrap and a knee wrap.
Doctor: How often do you run?
Me: Well, I might have decided to challenge myself with a run a month and some longer races in 2014.
Doctor: Hmmm, well… you're NOT 18 anymore. 
Me: Yes, thank you for pointing that out. Today is my first of many 29th birthdays but I am also NOT 80. Old people run all the time.
Doctor: Old people who don't have patellar tendinitis and IT Band syndrome. 
Me: So how do we FIX those two little problems.
Doctor: They actually are kind of big problems especially if you are stubborn and plan to push through and continue to run and train. You're pretty good with Google I bet you've found every IT Band stretch.
Me: Well, stubborn is not going away and I have committed so what do I do? I've watched EVERY Youtube video and researched IT Band stretches for HOURS.
Doctor: We will start with therapy and maybe you should think about a 1K for awhile. 
Me: I might have a 5k on Sunday.
Doctor: You might NOT want to run that BUT if you do you should definitely not run the rest of the week. You may want to buy a big bottle of Aleve. 
Me: Yea, about that too. I may have gotten an esophageal ulcer from it.
Doctor: Hmmm… 
Me:  Sounds like I am kind of screwed.
Doctor: Well, it depends on how dedicated to running you are. You are young, non-smoker, non-drinker, healthy eater, non-obseese, healthy individual so you have a lot in your favor.
Me: I actually don't even LIKE to run but I am trying to learn. ANNNNNND I may have also signed up for almost all of the races already. You also just called me old, now I'm young?
Doctor: Let's start with some therapy and go from there.
Me: So it won't KILL me to run?
Doctor: No, it won't kill you but this isn't a no pain no gain situation. It truly is a problem that you will need to learn how to manage and it won't be an easy feat.
Me: I will call the therapist tomorrow and start Googling patellar tendinitis.
Doctor: Good luck with all of that! 

{Sigh!} #runnerproblems #12in2014 #Googledoctor #kneewoes

No comments:

Post a Comment