Sunday, August 10, 2014

Marathon


A year ago when I committed to running a race a month I did NOT even like running. Through this journey I have fallen in love with running for so many reasons. I love the challenge that running gives me and the control. Running is a huge stress reliever for me and I have really learned to BELIEVE in myself.

My September race, The Diva Dash half marathon was my big goal for this year UNTIL I blew past 131.1 miles and seriously started thinking about conquering a FULL marathon, twenty six point freaking two miles. I hadn't actually said this OUT loud but I have been holding back on registering for my November race because it's been on my mind. There is a half and full marathon in OBX in November and since marathon made it on my bucket list I have been going back and forth. Ultimately, I decided that I didn't want to run it alone and without having a buddy who is at the last able to jump in and finish the last few miles with me. 

When our 17.16 miles posted to my Facebook page a runner friend, Kimberly B. asked, "Are you training for a marathon?" which really made me think! "Kimberly and Eileen are training for a marathon so by default, I am too but there is no way I will obtain a bib for the MCM in October. " I replied. Kimberly B. then suggested that I run the Richmond Marathon in November, recruit Kimberly to run the half with her and they would happily cheer for me at the finish line. 

Immediately I started doubting myself. It is one thing to consider doing it but it is another thing when it becomes REAL. Can I do this? Can I seriously run 26.2 miles? 26.2 miles is FAR and takes a lot of training so I turned to Roger for some help with this decision. 

Me: So what do you think about a marathon? Do you think I could do it in November?
Roger: I KNOW you can do it. I just don't know why you would WANT to do it. 

I texted Kimberly and got her on board and before I could change my mind I registered for the Richmond Marathon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment